Sunday, August 30, 2009

documentary fiction


I read an article on this couple, here.

I like what I know of their work, as well as their practice of combining documentary and fictional material, which seems to have come up a lot for me recently. The appeal for me is in what fiction adds to the attempt to get at the truth of documentary material. Maya Angelou says, The facts sometimes obscure the truth. When it is done well and honestly, the fictional overlay undoes the obscuring. The science fiction I like best does this really well.

The artistic practice of combining documentary and fiction also came up today reading about Still Walking by Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda. His film Afterlife combines a fictional story about a waystation for the dead with documentary interviews on memory.

Maybe I can find a vocation in a combination of baking, food justice, documentary and fictional film, music, comic books, and hasty sketches.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Just noticed the dude is wearing a Marquee Moon t-shirt, which of course makes the entire thing cooler.