Wednesday, September 9, 2009

'you can buy honestly priced food or you can buy irresponsibly priced food'

Joel Salatin, from this article, sent on by my friend Richard.



I am about to move into the section in Omnivore's Dilemma that features Joel most prominently.

And this, from the same Michael Pollan article, seems as good a summary of any of what it is that anyone who wants to eat good food responsibly is up against:

Shortly before I traveled to Virginia, I’d reread an essay by Wendell Berry in which he argued that reversing the damage done to local economies and the land by the juggernaut of world trade would take nothing less than “a revolt of local small producers and local consumers against the global industrialism of the corporations.” He detected the beginnings of such a rebellion in the rise of local food systems and the growing market “for good, fresh, trustworthy food, food from producers known and trusted by consumers.” Which, as he points out, “cannot be produced by a global corporation.” Berry would have me believe that what I was seeing in the Polyface salesroom represented a local uprising in a gathering worldwide rebellion against what he calls “the total economy.”

On a related matter: From the time I saw this post on David Dark's site, I have been angry again about the US healthcare mess. My position is very simple - healthcare for everyone. This is a theological and spiritual question. I thought about the church and this issue and I wondered for the first time in a while what the kind priest would say. This matters. It really matters.



I am listening to President Obama's speech right now.

No comments: