Wednesday, June 2, 2010

unyeasted bread recipe


This is the recipe I used yesterday, which is adapted from The Tassajara Bread Book.

I mixed together 3 and a half cups of flour with about 1 and three-quarter cups of water and a half tablespoon of salt. Keep mixing, and adding a bit of flour and water as needed to get a satisfactorily doughy mixture. Turn this out onto a very well floured surface. The recipe calls for kneading the dough 300 times. I'd say go even further if you feel so inclined, adding a dusting of flour whenever the dough begins to stick to the surface. When you finish kneading you should have a shiny doughball.

Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a wet towel. Leave it for at least 12 hours (the longer the better, I think, up to 24 hours).

Then knead it 100 more times.

Place on an oiled pan (I used some olive oil). I think putting it in a loaf plan definitely helped (the bread had less room to spread out and rose noticeably). Leave the pan somewhere warm for four hours.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then bake at 400 degrees for around 45 minutes (I baked for an hour at this stage and it was too long, I think).

Remove from oven and eat.

Let me know how it turns out.

No comments: