Saturday, June 13, 2009

on vali asr



When I drew this yesterday some immediate and positive change in Iran looked a lot more likely than it does today. I am not saying that Mir Hossein Mousavi would necessarily bring the dramatic turnaround that one might hope for but that he, at least, embodies a widespread longing within the country. Now I am not sure what is going on. I think Andrew Sullivan, whose wonderful blog I go to for a lot of online news, sums up well where things likely stand. Yesterday most of the updates I was aware of came from the equally insightful Talking Points Memo and its various news sources.

The Slacktivist quote was not intended as a commentary on the state of affairs in Iran. I left it in because perhaps it functions as such. It was a comment instead on three songs called "Wanderlust": 'Each of those songs, one way or another, aspires to get at the unsettling refusal to settle for anything less [than telling what we want, what we really, really want]. Some people sleep, some people yearn.'

No comments: