Saturday, June 27, 2009

called on to be honest



This is not the promised post on David Dark's, The Sacredness of Questioning Everything. I wrote my original notes for that in a bit of a frenzy during that last week at my job - in a tiny scrawl on two post it notes. Writing it definitely helped my thinking and my sense of where I am, but I think it would be fairly incomprehensible on the blog (at least the way I write at the moment). But I do want to give another shout out to Mr. Dark's book, which is challenging to me in all sorts of ways that I had not expected. Losing the job is causing me to re-evaluate a lot of things. I am deeply thankful for the opportunity that is tied up in this and I am determined to work from the ground up. There is a temptation for me to second guess what I should be doing and how I should be living. This manifests itself in dogmatic thinking (when applied to myself) and a certain lack of engagement with others (what should I think/feel rather than my actual response). From the get go, the book tore this thinking apart, starting with the ways that we get trapped into certain views of God. I am very grateful.

3 comments:

stephy said...

I really love David Dark's thinking too. I'm glad to have found your blog, I'll be checking in!

jdaviddark said...

thank you so much, derek, for dignifying the text this way. would you mind if i put the image up on my blog?

fondly,
jdd

Derek said...

Stephy - thanks so much for visiting - after a quick tour, I am very excited about spending more time in your blogs...

David, I would be honoured if you were to re-post the image on your blog. Your writing in TSOQE has been and continues to be a great encouragement, comfort, challenge, blessing, and help. Very glad that I am reading it in the midst of my current transition, wherever that is heading.

God bless,
Derek