Friday, October 8, 2010

ordinary victories



I think this is the best book I have read so far this year.

A quick stream of conscious response: Some of my opinion formed out of the sheer surprise of Ordinary Victories (I did not know who Manu Larcenet was this time two weeks ago) but most of it comes from the fact that the story is just that good. It captures a person trying to heal himself - and learn what being forgiving might mean and understand what his art means - better than just about anything else I have ever read.There is a life and vividness to all of the characters that has stayed with me and wandered around with me as I go about my days since first finishing. (After a day's rest I decided to read it all again.) And it has helped me think a lot about art and relationships and energized my drawing all over again.

Wow.



"Novels are not about expressing yourself, they're about something beautiful, funny, clever and organic... Go and ring a bell in a yard if you want to express yourself."
Zadie Smith

No comments: