Monday, March 1, 2010

raga and festival



I always remember C.S. Lewis's flirtation with Hindu beliefs as being quite solid but when I went back and checked the relevant passage in Surprised by Joy it seems that he dismisses them fairly quickly after his conversion to theism:
There were really only two answers possible: either in Hinduism or in Christianity... Whatever you could find elsewhere you could find better in one of these. But Hinduism seemed to have two disqualifications... (p. 188 of the book for what those are)

I have to say I never fully understood why, for Lewis, it was a choice between these two religions. Then again, I do find a compelling argument for at least one Hindu festival in the Guardian pictures of the Holi festival




Of course, just one page after airing his thoughts on Hinduism, Lewis writes a wonderful two sentence description of his conversion to Christ, which is all the argument I really need on most days:
I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did.

No comments: